Thursday, November 5, 2009

Low-Cal Chex Party Mix


Oh, no! Holiday snacking season is almost here! I love the holidays in a Big Way. I almost can't wait to get out the decorations; leaf through my Family Holiday Scrapbook of Recipes; send cards to folks we love; start baking and putting up the tree (in fact, while traveling, I found a Christmas music station on the radio and have been listening to carols, already!).

However, one of the aspects of the coming holidays that I dread is the temptation and guilt of the goodies that haunt me. As soon as Halloween is over, the "ghosts of holiday goodies yet-to-come" start nagging me. "Don't forget, Marcia, that even though there is fudge in the house, you should stay away from it as often as possible." "Marcia, you know that Chex Mix is NOT a health food, even though it contains whole-wheat Chex; don't deceive yourself." "Any food item that contains a stick of butter, although wonderfully delicious, cannot be good for you!" The voices persist through the Thanksgiving-Christmas food free-for-all. Even if you don't bake and cook, (but I do...I really love to!) during this season, people will tote these goodies to you! There are trays of cookies at the office, church and family get-togethers and childrens' school parties to survive; it's like a "gourmet land mine"!

I think one solution to this challenging time of year is to provide some healthier treats to throw into the lineup...'cause I am not getting rid of Aunt Vivian's Parks Fudge recipe or going "cold turkey" from the goodies! After all, it's ...."the Most wonderful time of the year..." Oh, don't get me started with the Christmas carols!

Here's a healthier version of that addictive Chex Party Mix!

Low-Cal Chex Party Mix

3 C Rice Chex
3 C Wheat Chex
3 C Corn Chex
3 C Bran Chex
1 C unsalted nuts
1/4 C margarine (Health Smart)
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP water
3/4 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Mix cereals and nuts in a large bowl. Melt margarine. Add Worcestershire sauce, water and seasonings to margarine. Pour margarine mixture over cereals and nuts, mixing well. Bake on cookie sheets in oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 min. Each 1/2 C serving has 87 calories (Woo-Hoo!)

This recipe is from Sue Stuchel from Winterset, Iowa, who contributed it to The Madison County Cookbook, which I will be reviewing tomorrow; don't miss it!

I will be joining LifeasMom today.

No comments:

Post a Comment