Thursday, November 12, 2009

Very Old Recipe for Cornbread Stuffing and Roast Turkey


This is a Thanksgiving recipe from a very old newspaper article that I found in a personal recipe collection from an Estate Auction. I thought you might enjoy it.
At the top of the clipping, the cook had written, "the one I always use!"

Roast Turkey

Place stuffed turkey on a rack with a shallow pan, and cover with a cloth soaked in melted fat. Occasionally moisten cloth with fat during roasting. Roast at 325 degrees from 4 1/2 hrs. for a 10 lb. turkey to 6 hrs. for a 15 lb. turkey. Test for doneness by moving a drumstick up and down; when the turkey is done, the drumstick will move readily. For easier carving, allow turkey to stand for 30 to 40 minutes.


Old-Fashioned Corn Bread Stuffing

1 C dark or golden seedless raisins
1 1/2 C thinly-sliced celery
12 C soft white bread crumbs
16 C corn bread crumbs
1 C coarsley-chopped salted, toasted almonds
1/2 C chopped parsley
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 C butter, melted
2/3 C turkey broth
1/2 C finely-minced onion
4 eggs, beaten

-Rinse and drain raisins. Combine with celery. both types of bread crumbs, almonds and parsley. Sprinkle with a mixture of the poultry seasoning, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
-Add broth and onion to melted butter; add butter mixture and eggs to crumb mixture, mixing lightly.
-Spoon lightly into turkey; or shape into stuffing balls, (my mother-in-law does this, and if you like some crunchy top on your stuffing, this is the way to go!) place on greased baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

I will be at these swaps today:

LifeasMom
JoyofDesserts

2 comments:

  1. I always use raisins in mine too. Tasty.
    Marcia, I can't find your e-mail anywhere here, would you please e-mail me? I have some info I think you would appreciate for your blog.
    joyofdesserts at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks; I've sent you my e-mail address.

    ReplyDelete