Sunday, November 15, 2009

"Twas the Week Before Thanksgiving" Menu


I'm having trouble with the realization that we're in the midst of November, already! It's time to start working on the Christmas card list and cleaning out the fridges for the extra space that will be needed for "Tom"...Tom Turkey, that is!

As a child, I remember my Mom soaking our turkey in the bath tub to be sure it was thoroughly thawed, because it was too big to fit in the kitchen sink. When I was growing up, there were years when we would have a houseful of people for Thanksgiving meal and Mom would be cooking a huge bird. One year, if I'm remembering it right, we had 21 people.

I always volunteered to toast the bread for stuffing; my brother, Greg always helped move chairs and tables into place, and my sister, Becky, and I enjoyed the wash 'n dry duties at the end ; we were our Mom's "dishwasher"! Dad was the foreman/taste tester (and on Thanksgiving Day, he was the "director" who tried to make sure that Mom kept on schedule by saying, "What time do you think we'll be ready?" "When do you want everyone to come to the table, Shirley?") As you can imagine, Mom was the menu-planner and cook (with the patience of Job!)

I talked with them on the phone today, and Mom said that they're having Thanksgiving at their house this year; wish I could be there for that, but I'll have to settle for talking to everyone over the phone or the Internet. Some of my favorite holiday photos are of my Mom and Dad holding the turkey platter at the head of the table. What a great family holiday!

Here's my menu plan for this week that will help use-up and clean out!

Monday, Nov. 16

Onion Steak
Mashed Potatoes
corn
Lemon Pepper Squash


Tuesday, Nov. 17

Steak Fajitas
sliced pears and apples


Wednesday, Nov. 18

Homemade Vegetable/Chicken Noodle soups
grilled cheese sandwiches


Thursday, Nov. 19

French Toast
Turkey bacon
Fruit Salad


Friday, Nov. 20

Tuna Casserole
Spinach
rolls


Saturday, Nov. 21

Irish Oatmeal
Toast

Fiesta Meatloaf
Baked potatoes
green beans


Sunday

Chicken and Rice
Salad
Iced Tea

Leftover Buffet

I will be at orgjunkie today for MPM!

No comments:

Post a Comment